A Poll! Patreon vs. Gumroad!
tl;dr: Should I use Patreon or Gumroad Memberships/Subscriptions to launch my new serial and Behind Back That Elf Up Newsletter?
I was planning on running a Patreon this year to help kick off my newest endeavor, a sword and sorcery, slice of life, swashbuckling serial entitled Hen and Chick! However, then the Patreon VATMOSS issue rolled up and since I hadn’t launched, I decided to wait and see how it would all shake out. Chris and I did some research and found out Gumroad offers Subscriptions and Memberships, which operate very similarly to Patreon. Both Patreon and Gumroad have their pros and cons for me as a creator, but YOU are the user and have your own hat in the game. We’ve got information listed below for you to peruse before you decide but let us know, where would you prefer to go to help support me, Tristan, in all my literary endeavors?
- Well known for what it does and gaining more recognition as a place to go to support Creators;
- Has a search function so people can find Patreons to support
- Displays how much is being pledged so Patrons can see how far along Milestones are
- Shows who/how many people are supporting; Patronage can be set per creation or per month for flexibility
- VATMOSS issues means creators may get in trouble for not paying international taxes
- Patreon is not as responsive to inquiries/issues
- Customizing front end is hard/impossible
- The way payments are processed can lead to discrepancies between what Patrons see they are giving and what Creators receive
- The way payments are processed means getting older material to backers (like the serial) is difficult
- Patrons are all charged at the beginning of the month
- Easy to use front end
- Good customer service response time so issues are generally quickly resolved
- VATMOSS sorted out
- Front end more easily customized to make it easy to use
- Memberships and Subscriptions give users options and the ability to access older products/chapters/archives
- Memberships and Subscriptions are charged as soon as you sign up and you’re charge on the same day of every month (if you subscribe the 20th of April, you will be charged the 20th of every month)
- Gumroad takes a flat percentage with no fees, so it’s easier for the Creator to know how much they will have to work with
- Subscriptions/Memberships are not searchable (there’s no way to browse or search for more Gumroad creators to support)
- There’s not one place where all Subscriptions/Memberships are listed
- Being found by new potential readers isn’t as easy/likely - they have to use your direct link
- Total amount going to Creator via Subscriptions/Memberships isn’t displayable, so Milestones are lost as an incentive
So which platform would you prefer? Leave a comment below or on the poll on our Facebook page.
Plus, here’s a sneak peek at the cover for Hen & Chick by Mildred Louis!
Here’s a few links about the stuff I talk about above, if you want more info! My Patreon idea (this isn’t live but is basically what I was going to launch and trying to get to y’all!) Patreon About (video) About Gumroad Subscriptions About Gumroad Memberships An article about VATMOSS