Happy New Year everyone! It’s the day before my kid goes back to school and there’s snow on the ground here in Portland, OR. A rare occurrence but one many are taking advantage of. I saw a lot of people walking around in the snow, looking happy, some of them carrying sleds. Right now, I’m holed up in my office and thinking about last year’s New Year newsletter and last year in general and thinking ahead to this future we have all found ourselves in.
2015 went out with myself and a lot of my friends feeling more hopeful and ready to sink our teeth into 2016. I know I got a lot done last year and that has definitely set a great foundation for 2016.
Last year Back That Elf Up:
- Got new covers for Thieves at Heart and Self-Made Scoundrel (thanks Sam!)
- Started a Patreon for Back That Elf Up in general and then cancelled my campaign (you can read about that here)
- Started writing Hen & Chick, a slice of life, sword and sorcery serial and started offering it through Gumroad Memberships
- Had non-fiction and fiction work published in various Onyx Path books
- Was invited be part of three anthologies; two comics and one prose
- Was rejected to exhibit from GeekGirlCon
- Received my first ever pro-pass, from Rose City Comic Con
- Was involved with Joon and LineworkNW
- Didn’t learn Twine, a software used to make interactive story games
- Hung out with more creative, awesome people
- And had many of you awesome folks sign up for my newsletter
A few failures, but many successes and I’m definitely at peace with what I didn’t get done. I learned more about what I’m capable of with the time, energy and creativity I have.
So what will 2016 hold for us?
- Finish Hen & Chick book 1 and run a Kickstarter to get it printed. I’ve got a lot of ideas for this Kickstarter, which I am hoping will be our biggest and best one yet!
- Start Hen & Chick 2 and complete the draft by the end of the year
- Work with Adrian Ricker to complete Shamsee 2 and run a Kickstarter for the second book. Two Kickstarters in one year. Yes. sweats
- Write the draft for Shamsee 3, which will be ridiculous and fun and drugs will be involved
- Be published in the three anthologies I picked up work in last year
- Edit and publish the cyberpunk novella I finished last year
- Write a few short stories set in the same world of Hen & Chick, Shamsee and The Valley of Ten Crescents (did you know they all take place in the same world?)
- Pick up a few freelancing gigs for Quarters 3-4 next year
This list is…formidable but doable. I have a lot of support from my family and friends. I am way more organized than I have ever been, which is mind boggling to even me. And there’s a combination of fixing stuff that already exists and plenty of cool new projects to keep it all fresh :D I am SUPER excited for all these projects! And I hope you are too!
Which of these projects are you most excited about? Feel free to leave a comment and let me know! I’m always interested in what you want to see more of.
I’m super excited for 2016, for my own work and for all the great comics, books and projects I’ll get to see unfold!
Also, I got this for the holidays and it’s on my desk and I love it.
Hope 2016 is wonderful for all of us! <3 Tris